If you’re new to IRC or just want to try it out on your Chromebook, this guide will show you how to get started.
Also Check: Vysor ON Chromebook
What is IRC:
When you’re using your Chromebook, you’re probably used to spending most of your time in a browser window. But there are other ways to stay connected and get things done on your Chromebook. One of these is using IRC or Internet Relay Chat. IRC is a text-based chat system that lets you communicate with other people in real time. It’s been around for a long time, and it’s still popular with developers and others who need to communicate quickly and efficiently.
If you’re not familiar with IRC, it can seem a little daunting at first. But once you get the hang of it, it’s easy to use. In this guide, we’ll show you how to get started with IRC on your Chromebook.
Also Check: How To Use Dropbox For Chromebook
How To Download IRC On Chromebook:
You can now use the Internet Relay Chat (IRC) on Chromebook. This is a great way to chat with friends and family, as well as to stay connected with people who share your interests. Here’s how to get started.
- First, you need to download the IRC for Chromebook app from the Chrome Web Store. Install it like you would any other app.
- Once it’s installed, open the app and log in with your IRC account information.
- If you don’t have an account yet, you can create one for free at any of the many IRC networks (see Resources).
- Once you’re logged in, you’ll see a list of channels that you can join.
- These are like chat rooms, where people with similar interests can come together and talk about whatever they want. To join a channel, just double-click on it.
- You can also create your own channel by clicking on the “New Channel” button.
- Give your channel a name and description, then invite others to join by sharing the link.
How to Use IRC on Your Chromebook:
The first thing you need to do is install the “IRC for Chrome” app from the Chrome Web Store. This app is free, but it’s not made by Google so you’ll have to allow Chrome to install it.
- Once it’s installed, open the app and you’ll be presented with a list of available IRC servers.
- You can scroll through this list and find one that looks good to you, or you can search for a specific server.
- For example, if you want to connect to the Freenode server, you would type “/server irc.freenode.net” into the search bar.
- Once you’ve found a server that you want to connect to, click on it and then click the “Connect” button.
- You’ll be asked for a nickname (what other users will see when you talk in IRC), and then you’ll be connected to the server.
- From here, you can join channels (chat rooms) by typing “/join #channelname” into the chat box at the bottom of the screen.
- For example, if I wanted to join the Freenode ##linux channel, I would type “/join ##linux”.And that’s all there is to using IRC on your Chromebook.
Setting Up Your Chromebook for IRC:
In order to use IRC on your Chromebook, you will need to set up a few things first.
- Download and install an IRC client. We recommend using Hexchat, which is available for free from the Chrome Web Store.
- Once you have installed Hexchat, open it and click on the “Network List” icon in the upper-right corner of the window (it looks like two computers).
- In the “Network List” window, click on the “Add” button in the lower-left corner.
- In the “Add Network” window, type in the following information:
- Network Name: Freenode
- IRC Server : irc.freenode.net
- Port: 6667 (You can leave this blank and Hexchat will use the default port)
Connecting to an IRC Server:
In order to use IRC on your Chromebook, you will first need to connect to an IRC server. There are many IRC servers available on the internet, and you can find a list of some of the more popular ones here: https://www.irchelp.org/
- Once you have selected an IRC server, you will need to use a web-based IRC client to connect to it. Some popular web-based clients include Mibbit (http://www.mibbit.com/) and KiwiIRC (https://kiwiirc.com/).
- To connect to an IRC server using Mibbit, simply go to the Mibbit website and enter the address of the server you wish to connect to in the “Server” field. Then, enter a nickname for yourself in the “Nickname” field and click the “Connect” button.
- To connect to an IRC server using KiwiIRC, go to the KiwiIRC website and enter the address of the server you wish to connect to in the “Server” field. Then, enter a nickname for yourself in the “Nickname” field and click the “Connect” button.
Using IRC Commands:
If you’re not familiar with how to use IRC commands, don’t worry! We’ve got you covered. Here’s a quick guide on how to get started:
- First, connect to an IRC server. You can do this by typing /server irc.example.com (substitute irc.example.com for the server you want to connect to).
- Next, you’ll need to choose a nickname. This is the name that other people in the chat will see when you talk. To do this, type /nick your nickname (substitute your nickname for the nickname you want).
- Now that you’re connected and have a nickname, it’s time to join a channel.
- Channels are like individual chat rooms on an IRC server, and each one has its own topic or focus.
- To join a channel, type /join #channelname (substitute #channelname for the channel you want to join).
- Once you’re in a channel, you can start chatting! To chat, just type your message and hit Enter.
- You can also use various IRC commands to do things like changing your nickname (/nick new nickname), leaving a channel (/part #channelname), or viewing a list of users in the channel (/names #channelname).
- For more information on IRC commands, check out this comprehensive list of commands
IRC Tips and Tricks:
In this section, we’ll share some tips and tricks for using IRC on your Chromebook.
- To connect to an IRC server, you can use a web-based client like Mibbit (http://www.mibbit.com) or KiwiIRC (https://kiwiirc.com/).
- If you’re using Mibbit, simply enter a nickname, and the desired IRC server address, and click “Start Chat.”
- If you’re using KiwiIRC, enter a nickname, and the desired IRC server address, and click “Connect.” Once you’re connected to an IRC server, you can join channels by typing “/join #channelname” in the chat window.
- For example, to join the ##linux channel on Freenode, you would type “/join #linux” in the chat window.
You can also type “/list” to see a list of all channels on the server.
In conclusion, using IRC on Chromebook is a fairly straightforward process. There are a few different ways to go about it, but the Chrome Web Store is probably the easiest and most user-friendly option. Once you have your IRC client set up and running, it’s simply a matter of connecting to an IRC server and joining a channel. Of course, there’s a lot more to explore in the world of IRC once you get the hang of it, but this should be enough to get you started. Thanks for reading!
Can you use IRC on mobile?
- Stands out with a clean readable interface with little wasted space. It’s also featureful, including support for SSL, SASL, and IRC proxies, nickname completion, and many of the things you’d expect from a desktop client.
- You can use the Freenode IRC network by entering /server irc.freenode.net into the Status window. After a moment, you will be connected to one of the servers in this IRC network. When you join a channel by typing /join #irchacks, you will see a new window appear inside mIRC.
- circ web
- free IRC client
- Byrd IRC
- IRC chat rooms online
- chat IRC
- mirc for android